The KKL Luzern was built in the record time of five years, between 1995 and 2000. The work of French architect Jean Nouvel and the American acoustician Russell Johnson replaced the old building by Armin Meili (1933-34). The new cultural centre is divided into three parts and includes a concert hall, a multipurpose hall (Lucerne Hall) as well as a conference centre, which also houses the art museum. All of these are grouped together under one big roof, which with its large overhang is now considered to be the hallmark of KKL Luzern.
The basic fundamental idee of the KKL Luzern is to combine all these different functions under one big roof - and not merely side by side, each for itself, but - in permeable borders - also with each other. These events include the areas of culture, conference and catering. Between or within these areas also a variety of events are possible.
The Concert Hall was opened 1998 with the launch of the International Music Festival (now Lucerne Festival). The success of the festival is not least due to the excellent acoustics of the concert hall, which counts as one of the best in the world.
In March 2000, the opening of the complete KKL Luzern took place.
During the completion of the first construction and subsequent commissioning phase Erich Offermann acted as the owner's representative for various architectural, construction management and commissioning works which were not included the package of the general contractor. In particular in the field of acoustics and signage had to be looked after.
Another task was to create the structure of an Operations Manual for the operator with clarification of the interfaces between owners and users.
Trägerstiftung Kultur- & Kongresszentrum Luzern
Beginning of the Study:
Completion 1. Phase:
Eröffnung: 18. August 1998
Completion 2. Phase:
Total usable area:
22'000 m² / Bruttofläche: 35'000 m²
Architectures Jean Nouvel, Paris
Russell Johnson, Artec New York
Elektrowatt Engineering AG, Zürich